11/5 Hexxit: chests & HarkenScythe

11/5

I wanted to check out that Reinforced Chests this time.  They're expensive to make, needing a BLOCK and 4 ingots/gems of a type to make.  Any difference in storage?   No, they all hold 52 slots; looks like their main use (BetterStorage mod) is to save stuff from creeper blasts.  They will connect to each other if their metals match.

Argh.  I tried the Reading Glasses from Bibliotech and yes it shows little tiny captions for the items stored on shelves and tool stands, but then I got a total game crash.  Guess I'll just drop those and step on em. 

Rutt showed up early, I teleported out to his snowy stone starter fort, brought a bed.  Roamed for a bit out in the desert area, cleared 2 small dungeons.  He just runs in, falls thru holes in floors, gets mobbed and dies.  Even when I say "You really need to patch the floors first.  Really, believe me."  Adrenalin, I guess.  ;-)

Some funny bits about the smeltery.  I worked out iron recycling recipes yesterday, but there are some good uses of gold here.

[CASTING TABLE] 128mB molten gold (8 nuggets) on apple = golden apple
[CASTING BASIN] 10368mB molten gold (9x9 ingots) on apple = enchanted golden apple
1 ingot of GOLD over an ingot WILL make an ingot cast, just can't be made of aluminum brass.  Wait, I was unable to get the ingot cast off the casting table, had to break the table to get my ingot (to be cast) back.  Buggy.  Darn.  Wait (again) that was using a gold ingot to make cast, using iron ingot to make cast, pouring gold on it DID make an ingot cast finally.

I moved my enchanting table downstairs, one of those wide-open corners with stairs coming up; it turned out to be right over the big mixed-use "furnaces and beds" room where the boss turtle teleported me during my conquest of the place.  I added more shelves and now see a max enchantment of level 46.  Wow, didn't know it went that high.  I added a brewing stand and a 2x2 water source for it.  Punched out a few windows to test the clear glass from Tinker's Construct -- very nice.  Moved some

crates into main hallway to fill with cobble and dirt.  Interesting how those crates will group together their inventory, BUT if you include more than one TYPE of item, they will always show some scrambled subset of what's really in there.  Apparently you can build massive cubes of the things and store large amounts, and then not find what you need??  So, good for single item types for now.

Duh, you can smelt iron ingots into steel.  No big mystery after all, tinker's modder.

Finally read up on some of the magical mods in here.  AsgardShield creates big swords and shields, well done.  I found two "gift meteorites" with a glowstone block on each side, one of each meteor type block, regular meteor blocks, and a chest full of gifts inside.  One even had a bowl of chocolate ice cream, weird but funny.  But the falling stars we see at night are NOT from falling meteors mod, they land on the ground as star pieces, fizzle out to stardust, part of the LegendGear mod which gives the Medallions, Amulets, emerald shards and more.  And hey, I found out how to merge the emerald shards into pieces and pieces into full emeralds - hold em in your hand & rclick, 8 of each smaller piece makes the next bigger size.  With cute
Zelda-style bleep noises.

Then there's the HarkenScythe mod.  I always wondered why my scythe made that cool whoosing sound when I rclick.  Well, the scythe and glaive are for harvesting souls and blood.  House down right mouse button to area whack mobs.  The souls come out as glowing balls, rclick them with an essence keeper (it will turn into a soul keeper) or rclick the big blood splats with essence keeper (it will turn into a blood keeper).  This is way too ghoulish for me.  BUT it gets worse.  You build a soul crucible then a Book of Shadows and Altar of Souls; or build a blood crucible then Book of Carnage and ALtar of Blood.  Surround the altars with matching crucibles, fill with gore and you can make Livingmetal, soulweave and bloodweave cloth, etc.  And a grotesque biomass that grows on soul sand and is fertilized by blood.  Yuck.  I'll set this up in some far off cave just for testing purposes, but I don't want to have it in my nice tidy castle.  Though a Necronomicon can be crafted which can supposedly reanimate the floating souls and give you spectral minions that fight for you until used up (unless you keep feeding them blood).  Sick, but it gives those battle towers a whole new use, as blood/soul farms -- instead of busting the spawners, let the mobs come chasing outside and catch them 2 or 3 at a time, soak it up.  Still gross, but it's interesting how totally this different tactic emerges.

I have to admit this last battle tower I visited, I just left the spawners intact, reaped and shot arrows, then just ran through in between spawns to grab the goodies and jump out the opposite entryway; fought more, ran through and hopped out again.  Serious drops and experience farming, though the upper floors were really filling with mobs.

###

Comments

Popular Posts