10/25 FTB Unleashed - oil well woes

Quick run last night.  I dubbed safehouse #1 (2nd settlement) Beaumont after the silly town on I-10 where we usually switch drivers on the way to Palm Springs.  Ran out to the desert, walled off a big spot around that safehouse, and dubbed the area Campo, after the town in the desert down by the Mexico border.  Planted some eucalyptus trees there so it's not so dull.

Just now I ran a little demo out by Campo showing how 3 mining turtles can take the top off of a hill ... I got 9 stacks of sand in just a few minutes.  Also showed how creepers can help you gather sand, just poke em and let them blow.  Just kidding, you only get about half the drops that way.  Back at Axum, I ran round trying to figure out how to get a road/tunnel up to my new west cliff glass lookout post.  So I extended the land out a few blocks where the sugar cane was (moved the sugar cane), ran a road out and to the left, tunneled into the hill and wouldn't you know that is the exact spot where my chasm splits off into two?  So it made a neat build, glass bottom over the chasm then ladders pretty much straight up the chasm walls to meet up with the room I knew was up above.  There was some confusion due to a little pocket of air with grass-topped dirt at the bottom.  I knew I shouldn't be hitting the surface, but there it was.  I also let my 3 mining turtles extend that lookout niche into a 13x4x10 workroom.  Fun.

Are these videos worth posting?  I'm no DireWolf20, and I probably sound down & out lately, but I hope there are useful bits of information in these videos, and some of my strange music/tv/weird cultural references and gags come across okay.  It's just what I do.  Drive space is pretty much free these days.  I wanted to be producing actual films, but at least I have some body of work here in these imaginary places.

I tried to do a demo of setting up an oil well with my usual "pump plus liquid transposer then take the cans home" method, but the liquid transposer was seriously glitched.  It refused to fill cans or cells, and I got several all-out crashes on render errors.  So I figured a weird alternate method: use standard glass tanks and pop them off when full using the DartCraft force wrench.  Sure enough it remembers the metadata and when you place those (unstackable) tanks down, they all have the right amount of liquid inside.  So, you don't need the more expensive portable tanks, or rail tanks.  Just cheap tanks and a force wrench.  Back at my east hill I added a railcraft iron tank (864 buckets capacity) and started pumping out my glass tanks.  Had about 80 buckets in there when I logged out, with 3 or 4 tanks left to pump out.  Neat system.

For half the demos I forgot to put my headset on.  Now that's dumb!  Oh well, I should play more and talk less anyway.

Comments

Popular Posts