11/15 Hexxit

Last night, during SLime-a-geddon infernal mobs were not displaying as expected.  Instead of the funny nickname and list of buffs at top center, they just have a cryptic symbol under their Health bar.  I suspect there may have been a Hexxit update, so let's check all the mod versions.  Nope, no updates.  I must have hit some key to switch display modes?  What would that setting even be called -- "hide funny buff names"? -- or what screen would it be on??

Anyway, I headed down to smeltery to make a few new items.  I need an ardite pick for getting that ardite and cobalt ore which, oddly, I could mine with alumite pick (ok) and with silk touch diamond pick for a while, but then diamond picks stopped working.  Made all-ardite pick with auto-repair.  if that doesn't cut it, I don't know what to do.  ;-)

Since the one thing I do need from the Nether is wither heads, I need to make a beheading weapon.  Obsidian + ender pearl added to a sword would do it, but there's also a cleaver mentioned in the "Materials & You" book.  But my tool station doesn't have a button for that item.  Ah, Tool Forge is an advanced tool station: 3 seared blocks over tool station and 4 iron blocks.  Made one.  And there are all those extra buttons.  Okay, cleaver needs a large sword blade (8) + large plate (8) + 2 tough tool rods (3 each) for a total of 22 ingots to make.  Wow.  Guess I'll stick with a broadsword: sword blade (1), wide guard (0.5), handle (tool rod, 0.5) = 2 ingots to make.  Then buff it up, beheading + auto-repair.  Done.  Though I had a beheading sword once before and still the bad guys almost never dropped heads.  Probably just ups the chance from "almost never" to "reasonably unlikely."

-- after dinner --

Nether run to get wither skeleton skulls.  Had a good romp, found more arms of the nether fortress, new connections.  Got 2 skulls, lots of other drops & goodies.  Then explored that nether brick battle tower ruin ... I followed it up and up on the outside, then the floors started getting more complete so I went inside, patched holes, and made interior stairs.  No spawner, no golem, just endless lava down below.  Looks like it had about 8 floor overall and it opened up at top onto the bedrock ON TOP of the Nether!  And there in the bedrock distance were various small ruins.  Really odd, not sure if this was intentional -- either piercing the Nether bedrock with the tower or spawning ruins up there -- but it makes for a neat discovery on video.

Back home, made a Tome of Alkahest, did a quick video explanation, did a little alchemy with it, then stashed it in a chest for when I need it.  The dilemma is, I have so much of EVERY basic resource at this point, I'm not sure there are any items I really need a hack for.  Is it worth making the Alkahest itself, so I can reduce stacks of cobble to single units of redstone?  Nah, not with redstone all over and no technological use for it.  But like usual it's interesting to flip through all the recipes and evaluate which one are most useful or the best value.  Using redstone to duplicate end stone is useful, though I can shave more from the Sky Bowl of Doom, and will someday go into the End itself, after which end stone is super common.  Duplicating nether brick (Tome + NBrk +RS = 17 NBrk) saves some steps.  The obsidian recipe (Tome + Obs +RS = 3 Obs) is good, since obsidian causes such wearon tools and wrists.  The same recipe with charcoal may come in handy, since aside from the smeltery EVERYthing costs coal to smelt, there are no other viable fuel options in this modpack.   Though I have about 8 stacks of redwood logs, and spending a stack of redstone to create 2 stacks of charcoal is maybe a bit expensive.  I could always devolve and use logs for fuel.  It's easy enough to lop down a redwood every few days and plant 5 more.

Nope, logs are awful fuel.  Each log can cook just a little more than one unit of sand.  So, burn a stack of logs for a stack of charcoal ... each coal/chacoal can burn 8 logs into charcoal.  And those 8 charcoal can cook 64 more logs, and so on.

Hmm.  At the moment I have no source of sugar.  Keep meaning to plant some sugar cane on the non-frozen side over by the animal pens.

-- later --

Made a batch of redstone lamps (4 redstone around glowstone block), then 4 altars of light (each is 4 redstone lamps & 4 obsidian around an emerald).  Made a little balcony behind my dirt & cobble crates, lined up the altars with a chest in between, and now I have a renewable source of glowstone in the Overworld, and another use for redstone.  Nice view of my animal pens from up there.  The alligators are probably sleeping, but I can see the tree ent on duty.

Cooked a stack of sand to glass, used some to make panes then 30 empty vials for some Xeno's Reliquary potions.  I'm not really a big potions guy, but it's something new to do down in my enchanting lounge, will get its own chest next to the water pool.  64 charcoal, use Tome + RS to make 3x64.  48 glowstone dust + Tome + RS -> 96.  Made first 4 Condensed Splash Serum, then 4 glowing water.  Nice that these potions stack, the vanilla ones take up too much space.  Made a Cross of Mercy for fun (it returned 4 empty vials, nice), will go turn on my zombie and skeleton spawners to test its area effect.

Quick chop down in my castle farm: 23 maloberries, 1 golden gysahl, 25 gysahl, 45 carrots, 24 cotton, 25 barley, 15 barley seeds ... pretty well overstocked on food by now.

Comments

Popular Posts