12/9 Big Dig adventures

I started a Lua program to make a turtle harvest a 5x5 plot of land and replant it, and drops all the goods in a chest.  Just waiting for the crops to grow.  Meanwhile, I sent Little Joe into the long tunnel to make it 3 blocks deep (for about 100 meters of tunnel).  Then took him to the desert and had him bore out a 3-wide roadbed in the sand.  Followed with silk touch pick, came home with ores (3 Al, 7 apatite, 11 Au, 64+19 coal, 58 Cu, 168 Fe, 4 lapis, 3 Os, 5 Pb, 2 quartz, 33 RS, 34 Sn) & stuff (64+37 sand, etc).

Okay, 10 peat in the engine powering the MFR Fisher gives 17 fish.  Bugs me that the switches are backwards: DOWN means ON?  

On what planet?

Got my turtle farmer running properly.  He does the 5x5, plants whatever seeds I give him, drops the goods in the chest then resets to the start position of the next crop square.  Trouble is, I was keeping one chest for seeds and one for produce, but he drops all items in whatever chest, an has no way to check what's what.  And the last two crop sections have no chest so he just drops the stuff on the ground, but I run by with magnet mode and slurp it up.  Not perfect, but okay.

I used some of my essences, got 24 obsidian & 60 coal.  Good haul from mere plants.  Even after that, my essences are at 21 nature, 25 coal, 7 hostile, 12 obsidian, 42 glowstone, 21 dyes, 8 blaze.  Take 8 blaze (6 blaze powder), 24 glowstone (36 glowstone dust).  Some odd recipes:
8 blaze essence around coal essence = burning essence (no uses?)
8 blaze essence around bucket = lava bucket (cute but I can't see ever needing that unless I'm stuck in the End)
4 explosive essence around blaze essence = inert essence (no uses??),
and for each essence looks like you can turn 4 essences into 4 essence blocks.  Okay I made 4 glowstone essence blocks & 4 coal essence blocks, put 3 above door of magic lab.  Expensive decoration but looks neat I suppose.

Let mining turtle ream out main tunnel to east (+383z) almost all the way to launchpad.  Repaired my diamond silk touch pick (3 levels) came home with ores: 1 Ferrous, 60 coal, 29 Ag, 52 Cu, 48 Fe, 42 Sn, 6 Al, 8 lapis, 20 RS, 25 Au, 13 diamond (!), 6 Os, 3 emerald, 18 Pb.  And 39 basalt, 20 marble ... I will build with those soon to give my town more color.

I also saw weird recipes with the ink sac: surround it with cobble, stone, gravel, stone brick or brick to get variations of "blackstone".  I don't know what mod that is, but I will try some and compare it with the basalt.

Another bumpy run with my mining turtle's "farm5" program.  In this case I was in the way when it backed up to start a new row, which set it off by one, which meant it broke the drop chest instead of dropping the goods there.  I thought I could put obsidian pipes at its drop points, but the turtle seems to spew the drops all over and few of them get picked up by the pipe, whether the pipe is directly under the turtle (and tries to connect to it) or the pipe is two blocks down.  Even when I power the obsidian pipe with a redstone engine, which is supposed to increase its grab area to 3x3, it still doesn't seem to catch all the dropped items.  So screw it, there are iron chests at each dropoff point.  But I wanted ONE chest for seeds and a few chests for actual harvested items.  I guess I have to run some tunnels out under those drop chests and sort the stuff with Buildcraft pipes (though I'm reading about Logistics Pipes!) ... a huge task since there are going to be vanilla seeds, 9 normal MagicalCrop seeds, about 10 magical MagicalCrop seeds, a few other mod seeds (cotton, barley from Natura), then all the produce: 3 types of gysahl, all the previously mentioned crops, and I want the magic essences split out from all the rest!  It does sound like a job for LogisticsPipes, just put a provider pipe under each drop chest, then probably about 6 chests with SupplierPipes requested specific sets of 9 items each.  Hmm.

Okay, made 32 diamond pipes, now I need a heap of gold gears ... grab 32 iron, 32 gold ... run the gears, make 4 batches = 32 BasicLogisticisPipes.  Then 6 Provider Pipes (I have 5 chests that need to provide the network with items), and 12 Supplier Pipes (I don't know how many chests I need to sort these into, but each pipe can request up to 9 items).  Dug tunnels under my chests, but as soon as I try to connect a Provider Pipe to an iron chest, BAM, total crash.  Try to reload world = total crash.

So I can no longer load my world.  Not even for a second to remove that pipe?  Well that sucks.

Forums rock, I quickly found a link to upgrade from LP 0.7.3.2 to 0.7.3.7.  Grabbed a new jar file, renamed the old to *.jar.skip.  Fingers crossed here.  Yup, new version works fine.  I had to add a LogisticsPowerJunction to power the LogisticsPipe network, but it ran fine just from a wee 1 MJ/t PEat-Fired Engine.  Some things I learned: the Provider Pipes never sent anything down from the chests, apparently they don't recognize passive requests like my chests that were waiting for something to come down the pipe.  So hell, just to prove this stuff works, I cheated myself 5 autarchic gates and used wooden pipes under the chest with autarchic gates (set to: no redstone pulse = send Energy pulse).  Sure enough, the chests cleared out.  Had some trouble with items bouncing back and forth within the pipes, until I added a Default target, swapped out all cobblestone pipes (they seem to immediately bounce back the items??) with gold pipes (I have enough gold, and the items crawled thru the cheaper pipes).  Some items still went in loops.  The trick there is to put a logistics pipe at each junction: as soon as you place them, they show red (no logistics in that direction) or green (logistics detected in that direction), and all bounced items now went zap down to the right target chests.

Now of course all my seeds are downstairs, so I have to bring up a batch to give the farmbot, so it can do each section then drop the crops (and unused seeds) into a chest that shoots them back downstairs.  Anyway, the concept works: farmbot does one 5x5 plot at a time, drops the items in chests, all the items get sorted used a mod I've been wanting to try out for ages now. 

There IS some detectable lag around the logistics pipes, but that was also true of regular Buildcraft pipes when lots of items are zipping around.

I took a stack each of glowstone and obsidian essence, made 64 obsidian, 96 glowstone dust.  Now that's some good reward for a tough build.

Comments

Popular Posts