11/23 MCEdit fun

For a change of pace, I installed MCedit and went through some of our old worlds, clipping out some of our favorite buildings and constructions.  I was then able to make a new flat map and paste them all in there, and go into that map on creative mode to clean them up.  Really fun to see some of the old haunts again, including the whole villages of Alphanova, Diggtown Freehold and Roanoke from my Miranda world.  I even clipped a large area around a remote frozen island from my Beringia world, and started making a challenge map out of it, but it's really hard to hide the edges of the original terrain and I got into a major mess trying to brush in water, just got bulges that flooded the area.  But I'm getting the hang of it.

I don't know if I can paste some of our old haunts into the new Hexxit map.  Most of the worlds were vanilla blocks, and in the Iconia (Tekkit) world I was careful to remove all unknown items from chests and hit the Analyze button to tell me which unknown blocks in the world need removing.  Pretty nice to be able to replace all 229's with air ... bye bye old Buildcraft pipes.  So, there's obviously a huge strategic issue trying to handle the extended block id's of all known modpacks.  But just having the shells of our old favorite spots has some value.  We can always retool it or rebuild whatever machines we had.  Though obviously my main power stations from my Quickhaven world with all the multiblock GregTech machines would be a huge loss.  BUT in almost every case, I have such stockpiles of metals I could rebuild those on some new modpack, though of course all non-vanilla ores and dusts and cells and wires would have to be deleted.

Still, I grabbed by huge pyramid from Miranda and was able to quickly replace all the dirt with smooth sandstone, something I wanted to do in game but it was too daunting.  I'm thinking that might make a good challenge map, to be stuck on a floating island with two big pyramids, one spawning spiders and silverfish and the other spawning blazes and pigmen.  I like the idea of challenge maps, even if they do have big artificial walls in the world keeping you in.  I suppose you could chip through the walls when you finish the challenge and take on the rest of the world, like the end of The Truman Show.  ;-)

Comments

Popular Posts