12/7 Big Dig builds

The past few nights I got a lot built.  All captured on video.  I've now edited through episode #24, uploaded through #12.  I did a massive land grab, walling off all land right up to the tundra line, then expanding toward the graveyard; mining turtle (officially "Little Joe", because I keep thinking "Hey Joe, where you goin with that pick in your hand?") tunnelled through mountain to next valley, and out east to the desert.  New building for material storage with 4 crates for cobble, 4 crates for dirt; two stories, started a power station upstairs: biogas engine powering two fermenters, producing endless cans of biomass; Liquid transposers feed that back into engines with no loss of cans; two other biogas engines power a little town power grid of gold conductive pipes, and it works, I have power in the power station and in my ore lab now.  I just can't find a way to turn off the power when I'm done with a row of machines for a while.  The MineCHem machines seem to draw power constantly.  Maybe I'll just bust the gold pipes coming in from outside, and pop them back on when I need power?  The engines are pretty good about going into stasis when there's no power draw -- they stop pumping and glow orange but nothing more.

Built another building for food, my Food Court, with chests in four corners for: bakery & sandwiches; fruits & nuts; meat & more meat; and cakes & pies.  But I'm overflowing with food, no real reason to make more.  Just that the UsefulFoods mod recipes are so darn cute.

Built another 2-story building (with 3rd floor half done) for future use.  Since it's right across from the power station I can run a line right into the top floor when I want to.

Farming is making me nuts.  Too many crops, already have chests full of food.  The magic side of MagicalCrops is fun.  I've made seeds for obsidian, coal, glowstone and dyes now, and then all work as advertised: they drop seeds and a matching essence, and the essences can be shaped into the expected products (8 coal essence = 12 coal, etc).  The dye essence can make any color dye depending on the pattern you craft with.  Clever stuff, but again I'm overloaded on so many items.

I got MineCHem up & running: Microscope, Chemical Decomposer, Chemical Synthesis Machine.  Figured out that in THIS version you NEED a Chemist's Journal to record the recipes you see in the Microscope; you can split up items in the Decomposer without the journal, but must open it to the desired recipe page and put it in the Synthesis Machine to make anything.  I don't recall any journal in the older Voltz modpack, but I haven't touched that world since about August.

Overall, I'm surprised at how low-tech this world turned out to be.  Yeah, I'll make some UE machines just to learn them, but everything they do (except making funky glowstone/obsidian armor & tools) can be done in other mods.  I'll make some parts for Galacticraft soon, seems like that mod is the only one that uses lead in this world.  But by removing IC2 (and GregTech) it just seems low-tech.  I built a smeltery but it's having glitches; it will melt metals (but not show what's in its tank) and pour blocks, but won't make casts of anything, I tried gold and AlBrass.

It's also not a super magical mod.  The only reason I have an enchanting table and brewing stand is because I sacked the floating blaze temple.  I died up there, and when I woke up in a distant safehouse (forgot to sleep at home for convenient respawn!), I cheated myself some diamond armor and a diamond sword just to make sure I could get 600m back to my death site alive.  I don't think I had more than 30 seconds left before my drops would have gone away.  What a cross-country run!  Then the ladder up 40 blocks, through the clouds ... not an easy return.  Turns out I would have survived the battle even without those cheated items, because the chunk unloaded and all the blazes despawned.  My first attack I took out all but one spawner out front, and ended up with easily a dozen blazes circling the place and fireballing me.  Upon return there were two guys to fight, find the spawner, bam, done.  But heck, I had enough diamonds at home that I could have built that armor anyway, in fact I already had diamond helmet, leggings and shoes.  I made an anvil, repaired my diamond pick, enchanted it to silk touch.  Things worked out okay.  I guess I should throw 20 diamonds in the trash to make up for that cheat, but screw it, I just wanted to get back up there alive.

So yeah, not super tech OR super magical.  The MagicalCrops adds some fun crops, and apparently some advanced items that wikis have no description of.

I also made a ladder up to the weird sky town, visited that a few times.  Even laddered up from there to the Natura clouds to test them out.  Brought some home.  Their tooltip text claims they save you from fall damage: seems correct.  And a wiki said you can't fall through the bottom block: also seems correct.  Quite nerve-wracking things to test out, 80 blocks above the solid ground!

Comments

Popular Posts