12/15 BigDig add Pam's Wee Flowers

12/15

I want more to play with.  I was planning a little patch of just Pam's Weee Flowers, figured I should go look at her original post if I can find it.  Here it is:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/402069-16x152othersforgesmppams-mods-sept-28th-all-mods-updated-to-164/

And wow she's been busy!  So I'm adding her DesertCraft and HarvestCraft to my modpack.

DesertCraft official teaser: "This mod adds in three new sets of tools (cactus - wood, sandstone - stone, and glass steel - gold), a new armor set (cactus - leather), sixteen desert-themed plants that only spawn in desert biomes, glass steel ingots (made from three glass and one iron), a glass steel window (resists explosions), and a recipe to turn cactus blocks into planks."

HarvestCraft official teaser:
57 new crops
16 wild bushes to find in the wild
22 fruit trees growing across the world of Minecrafia
Over 300 new foods to prepare and items to collect
Eight cooking tools
A peaceful, non-violent way to make string and cloth
Colored cloth stairs and slabs
A non-bee farming way to aquire wax
Colored candles
Hardened leather armor
An easier way to use water and milk in recipes
Sink block (available in four textures) for infinite water
Sheeps drop mutton
Squids drop calamari
Uses the Ore Dictionary for everything
An incredibly detailed config file for turning almost everything on/off as you wish
BEES!!!!
Vegan/Vegetarian Food options using tofu!

Cooking Tools
Bakeware, Pot, Cutting Board, Mortar and Pestle
Juicer, Mixer, Skillet, Saucepan

----

My kind of stuff.  I figured out that I enjoy collecting items as much as digging or building towns.  Guess I won't get bored anytime soon.  And yes these mods are both ready up to MC 1.6.4, so if BigDig ever updates past 1.5.2 I should still be good to go.  Eek!  The game now shows 170 mods loaded instead of 104.  Huh?  So ... HarvestCraft has a mod for each crop (and the kitchen Sink, not kidding).  That's a bit awkward, but I suppose they're each really tiny mods.  I'm thinking of dropping SOulShards and both of the Modular Powersuits mods -- not my cup of tea.  I don't really care about Trade Booth or SecretRooms either.  But then I'm not playing BigDig anymore?  I don't care.  The point is to have fun and show people stuff.  And if farming 57 new crops doesn't qualify ad big digging, I don't know what does.

I made a backup of my map just in case.

Now I need to figure which chunks my key landmarks are in and whack a bunch of old chunks (some have not been visited since 11/3) and let those respawn with new stuff.

BTW I use this handy chunk calculator page: http://dinnerbone.com/minecraft/tools/coordinates/

Home base: (I will be naming this town Claypool): -300, 380, chunk file r.-1.0.mcr

Oh heck, for a world as small as mine, I can just run out to my 4 main landmarks (village, big barn, blaze island, sky village) and see which chunk files got timestamped today, and wipe the rest.  DONE: how sad, only using 12 chunk files, from 0,1 to -3,-2.  And I'm usually a serious explorer!  Of course I'm used to ExtraBiomesXL with all of it's colorful creations (autumn woods, red rocks, all kinds of variations) and Twilight Forest to frolic in.  So far my world is snow, desert, trees, grass, with a few cliffs to play on.

Oddly, I already got a broccoli seed, from an already-loaded region.  Probably a result of breaking grass by mistake?  Blaze temple is pretty at night.

New mission: head down to 0,0 and go +Z for awhile.  Later, extend my tunnels to 0,0 and run a feeder tunnel about 200 blocks in each direction from there.

DONE: little 6x7 stone brick shack at the 0,0 mark.  Oops.  I see a waypoint to "village1" 655m in the distance.  So I did find one normal village, may have deleted its chunk if I haven't been there in a while.  Don't care, it will probably respawn, don't think I walled it in yet.  Fairly quiet night here in the outback.  0,0 is at the edge of the desert past the sky village, with a drop down into forest on two sides.

Not a forest, a jungle.  Good, I have been trying to find one, so I can bring home some jungle wood and cocoa seeds for a supply of chocolate.  Snagged one tree with some pods on it, treecapitated!  Oddly there's an obsidian pillar (one block) going up above the clouds.

Nope, it was just a tower of oil whose source block seems to have spawned on top of a Natura cloud.  Yeah, that's normal.  I actually saw another of these later on, as I built another base at 267,-588.  For fun, that night I figured I'd dig down to where a future -600z tunnel might come out, and hit what I thought was a stronghold!  But when I went down to explore I heard blazes spawning.  So, not a normal stronghold, must be some surprise from the DungeonPack mod.

Along the way I did see some of Pam's new plants, and it turns out that her berries are interchangeable with Natura berries in recipes.  Well done.  Smashing grass may drop her seeds; I came home with one seed each of broccoli, ginger, coffee, onion, and one other.  Other crops you can eat directly, others you just craft into seeds.  Fun to explore.  Yup, pages of new food items in NEI.  I don't want to turn this into "Big Dig and Cooking Show", but it's nice to have new things to play with.

I guess I should send my mining turtle to start working on a major tunnel system.  A grid of 2x3 tunnels every 300 blocks so I can pop out anywhere in the world I want.  Should probably have rails someday, I have plenty of iron!  I started building it already at a depth of 58 so it's not a huge dig down from the surface, but it does need to drop to depth 46 under oceans.  Luckily there are no oceans anywhere nearby.  Now there's a project.  120 iron to make 320 tracks, nice to have the vanilla recipe for a change (Railcraft makes it a pain).  But for that the tunnels really should be 3 blocks high, though sometimes I just ream out one middle block either above or below to giev room for minecart plus passenger.  Yuck.  Well, I drilled my -300x tunnel all the way to +32z, took it by hand under a river, and it ended up as a tube of stone inside a larger cave, with some windows to let me know there's something to see over there.

Holy cow, Harvestcraft.  I did some tests, just bonemealed the ground and broke grass.  4 bonemeals later I had seeds for 8 new plants AND 6 different saplings!  Pears, avocado, oranges, starfruit, cherries, papaya.  The fruit hang down below the leaf blocks (nicely done) and you can walk through them so you aren't hitting your head and getting stuck (nicely done).  I'm pretty sure these fruit blocks will ripen, since right now they're nearly unbreakable.  In the meantime, the tiny graphics on some of the crops are good enough that I can chop a crop and see "hey, that's celery".  Nice that they're recognizable.  Some crops need to be broken to harvest (for 2 drops), others you can rclick to get one drop without destroying the plant.  Looks like all these crops can be turned back into seeds one-for-one in your hand, so you can get seeds or crops as you choose.  And of course there are 3 pages of new food items in NEI.  Lot more to explore!  I would have preferred to have to travel to different biomes to find the crops.  The grass breaking is just too easy.  And having saplings appear after bonemealing the ground is also too easy.  But it's all a nice bonus for now.

Now that I've figured out how to make infinite blaze, I don't need to plant any more blaze seeds; I'm stocked on obdisian and glowstone so I don't need those crops for a while.  I'm still planting 10 cow soul seeds (need lots of leather for item frames for periodic table "wall of elements"), and 10 EXP seeds (since 8 EXP essence = 5 levels).  Farmbot is only really good for the first two plots of conventional crops now.  Next two are Harvestcraft testing grounds, and the 5th plot is cow & EXP.  I started two new 5x5 plots for the 14 Pam's flowers varieties, so I should be set on dyes for now (I also have some dye essence stockpiled for this).  Hey, the world is more colorful at least.

--- after 9pm ---

I had to send Pam (whoever he/she is ... keeping their persona mysterious I see) a few $$.  Modders should get something for all their hard work.  Hopefully enough small trickles add up to something worth doing more of.  WWhole day has been a kind of headachey mess.  Oh well, a little more numbing game before bed.

Little roadbuilding expedition.  Turtle tunneling 2x3 across the world is really quite slow, though the cross-sections of the stone and ores and caves is pretty fascinating.  Anyway, I went out to 300z and silk-touched (Efficiency IV) little 1x2 "people tunnels" from -121x (edge of desert) out to -438x (grasslands) and put tiny way stations on surface at each point.

Back home, lots more seeds to play with.

1x2 tunnel out to -300,666, drop a safehouse in the nice seaside valley there.

More ripe fruit on the trees, more plants ready to rclick or smash.  I now have 4 each of almost all 14 of Pam's dye flowers planted.  Think I'm missing 2, but can't figure out which until they're all grown up.

Yeah, those Efficiency IV narrow tunnels are way faster to make.  ;-)

-- after midnight --

Darn dryer didn't get the sheets dry so I guess I'll be up for a while.  I had fun making the Harvestcraft cooking tools --
bakeware (33), mixing bowl (33), juicer (33), cutting board (26), saucepan (23), pot (26), skillet (14), mortar & pastle (4) -- all very simple recipes with sticks, planks, stone, iron.  Number after each item says how many pages of recipes each item has.

One thing that's going to be a pain in Harvestcraft is that half the crops are "normal" (plant em, break em) and half are re-growth crops (rclick to get a crop without breaking the plant).  The normal crops are: Asparagus, Beans, Beet, Broccoli, Celery, Garlic, Ginger, Lettuce, Onion, Peanut, Pineapple, Radish, Rice, Sweet Potato, Tea, Turnip, Barley, Cauliflower, Leek, Oats, Parsnip, Rye, Scallion, Soybean and bushes:  Cranberry, Spiceleaf, Sunflower, White Mushroom, Rhubarb, Rutabaga, and Seaweed.  These the farmbot CAN handle.

Which means the rest are re-growth crops.  These need to be harvested by hand.

On the upside, it looks like every crop can be planted directly without having to turn them into seeds first.  Interesting ... there are recipes to turn ordinary saplings into fruit tree saplings: jungle sapling + banana = banana tree sapling, etc etc.  "Pam" seems to have thought of everything here.  So fruit is infectious.

Oops, there may be some ID crossover with MineChem.  I see nutty recipes like Nodularin + Milk bucket = milk bucket.  Even THC + milk bucket = milk bucket.  That would be some funky milk!  The Harvestcraft entry point is Milk bucket -> 4 Fresh milk.  Glasses and buckets magically come and go as you do these recipes, but that's cool.  Cool as a starfruit smoothie.  Also looks like all or most of the crops can be put into crates of 9; I wonder if those can be placed in the world.  Sure would look nice.  I started widening the tunnel entrance near the cherry tree, put the cooking tools there.  I could see lining that hallway with crates of fruit.  I already have more food than I could ever use and I haven't even made the 50 items in UsefulFoods mod yet -- have done about half -- and here are 300 more food items.  Nuts.

Ha ha, just checked email, got my Paypal receipt.  If you want to know "Pam's" real name, just send a donation.  :-)  Seems like a real person now.

###

Comments

Popular Posts