Quickhaven logs 5/21 - ender tanks & thaumcraft

5/21 Lunch break - Run down to my Nether Base Camp and hook up one Ender Tank (white-white-blue).  You dye the coded bars on top of the tank by r-clicking them with DYE, not with dyed wool.  I hooked it up down there just off the main line to that big xy tank (which is full with 1024 buckets).  In Overworld, I hooked the other Ender Tank to the side of the town lava tank, wooden pipe into tank valve, redstone engine, and boom: pumping lava straight from Nether to my stockpile.  Unfortunately I now expect that the nether chunk will unload, and sure enough it stopped after only pumpin 16 buckets.  I was hoping it would act as its own chunk anchor.  Fine, make a {railcraft} chunk loader, go back to Nether to install it under the tank.  Topside, town lava tank at 380b (15:17), ender tank drained ... and stays drained.  Duh, I set the chunk loader to a radius of 1, but that means the actual pump at the lava sea is probably unloaded, so i got everything that was in the pipes when I left, and no more flowed in.  Back to Nether, set chunk loader to radius of 2.  back to Overworld, lava tank at 390b (15:25), 404b (15:26) and ender tank is empty again.  (Funny, while waiting I heard an ender, turned out hwe was in my main house carrying a block of dirt.  Whack whack.  Back to work.)  I thought the chunk loader would keep the chunks loaded, maybe my pump was more than 1 chunk away?  Seems unlikely.  Back to Nether.  odd problem.  With the chunk loader set on radius 2, the redstone engines powering the pump were stuck in mid-motion, so nothing was being pumped.  I had to set the radius back to 1 and restart those engines, then they worked and lava was pumping again.  Booklinking back to surface, NC was pretty much out of memory and had to be shutdown.  I only get a few jumps per session until it hits the 700meg mark and slows to zero, crazy memory hog.  I forgot I was uploading a 950-meg file to a server in the beackground, for work.

Apparently, redstone engines seizing is a known error, funny I never saw it -- after many many hours of pumping things peacefully! -- until I put that chunk loader down there.  Oh well, fix after dinner.

23:15 - I figured out what that explosion was in the IC2 lab the other night.  The first stone conductive pipe, between the modified electrical engines and the lasers, was missing, pretty much exactly under my feet where I was standing at the time, only one block to the left and two blocks below.  Must have exploded.  As far as I know, each engine is only putting out 6 MJ/tick.  I would expect pipes to handle that, but actually the stored MJ wildly ticks up to 120 and back to 0, so it may be sending out much larger pulses.  I should replace those stone pipes with gold.  Done.  Right now, temp is holding steady at 135C.  At this rate it takes 4 minutes to make one pair of pulsating chipsets.  The goal is to make some autarchic gates to replace some redstone engines ... it costs 10,000 EU to make a redstone chipset, 20,000 EU to make an iron chipset, 40,000 EU to make two pulsating chipsets, 20,000 EU to turn an redstone chipset into a gate, the 10,000 EU to piece together the autarchic gate (from gate + iron chipset + pulsating chipset).  That's actually a fairly absurd and costly process, in terms of power (80,000 EU) and time (about 12 minutes from scratch); cheap in materials though (1/2 ender pearl, 2-1/2 redstone, 1 iron).  Finally, after making lots of pieces, I pull out my 3 gates, 3 iron chipsets, and 3 of my 18 pulsating chipsets and make my first 3 autarchic gates.  1 minute, 4 seconds each.  Engines holding steady at 135C.  Probably only overheated because the cheap pipes couldn't take all the power being sent to them?

Looking out the window of the IC2 lab I see that my ender tank has filled up again.  Turn on the engine.  23:34 - Town lava tank at 410b+.  Ender tank started to drop, turn off engines, ender tank filled up again.  Score!  23:37 - town lava tank at 426b+.  23:39 - 450b+. 

23:41 Multifarm - out of power, top is totally filled with birch saplings, about 5 birch trees grown.  Strange, if I go up top and try to harvest leaves (with chainsaw or shears), no leaves drop.  Anyway, in the chest: 64*3+54 birch logs, 51 sand; grab all.  Harvested 21 saplings from up top, took 49 out of interface, still 52 blue fertilizer and 72 dirt left.  23:54 - harvested one giant fir tree (no problem collecting leaves), dropped 6 fir saplings in multifarm.  Town lava tank FULL at 576b; the ender tank is so convenient I don't need that old netherrack-to-lava system, but will keep it on top of the tank just in case.  IC2 lab basement: assembly table done with everything I had queued up and then yes the engines overheated.  Now in chest: 2 iron AND gates, 17 pulsating chipsets, 16 green pipe wire, 7 red pipe wire, 2 gates, 3 autarchic gates, 1 iron chipset, 6 redstone chipsets.  Darn it - that first gold pipe is missing, still blowing up?? I guess you can't leave this crazy thing unattended.

Main tunnel automats: as an experiment I converted my stone -> {stone brick, stone slabs, chiseled stone} automat from redstone engines to autarchic gates.  Just r-click to put the gates on the wooden pipes, choose "redstone signal off" in the left-hand box and "energy pulser" in the right-hand box.  Add items, they come pouring right out of the autocrafting tables.  Way faster than redstone engines, in fact.  Whenever approaching home down the long tunnel, I have been able to see the engines load before the tunnel itself, which just looks silly.  It sure seems smoother this way, but again, it's too much work and energy to put together too many of these processes.

00:25 - make 9 barrels, line them up along road by multifarm.  64+48 more birch logs done.  Plan to put logs here, and use the barrels at sawmill for planks.  Made a Forestry Centrifuge (put in forestry ground floor for now, since there's a line of conduits already set up).  Run all my stockpiled honeycombs: 21 parched, 6 rocky, 1 mossy ->  25 beeswax, 21 honey drops.  Time to run 6 comb = 30 seconds.  00:45 - extend town walls around the multifarm and row of barrels.  Multifarm: 7 coal coke left, 63 more birch logs harvested, right into the barrels they go.  00:48 MF Farm: 1240mb of oil left in generator, 64*7+36 wool, 31 beef, 26 leather, 20 ind fertilizer.

Okay, switch to thaum mode.  I really want to get started on a little thaum lab up in my new treehouse.  Made a Wand of the Apprentice, two tables and a cauldron.  Cooked 8 cactus, dyed 64 rockwool dark green to hide the underside of my big wooden treehouse deck.  I couldn't see how I could climb up under it and cover the bottom of the deck, but after replacing the outer two rows of the deck with green rockwool and extending it across to other trees, I'm surprised how neat it looks.  Like walking on leaves.  After many hours trying to sleep, picturing it in my head, I think this works nicely, and I plan to add other decks above and below it, all neatly camouflaged from the ground level.  I setup my cauldron, hit it with the wand, poof.  then I set up the two tables, hit them with the wand and got two tables with green felt surfaces, not the research table I was expecting.  So I got two Arcane Workbenches.  To make the Research Table I made two more tables and clicked on them with Scribing Tools.  Now I have the basic work areas.  Add a 2x2 water pool for endless water for the cauldron.

02:02 - The thaumcraft research system is very interesting.  Put paper in bottom right slot of research table.  Put items to research in top left slot.  Click the magnifier button.  Your items may be used up (depends on the Cursory or Thorough setting at bottom, I chose Thorough), and you may get a paper scroll saying "unknown recipe".  Continue feeding in various combinations of items, and when you get an aspect icon in the main area, it will move toward one of the edges.  When all aspects are researched, you get a discovery scroll which you can hold in your hand to read it, and right-click to cash it in ... you should now be able to make that item or use that knowledge.  I made a thaumonomicon by r-clicking a bookshelf with my wand and picking up the book: what a nice interface with the nebula backdrop and the tree of all thaumcraft knowledge.  I discovered Nitor, Alumentum and Basic Transmutation - this last one required iron, gems and seeds, so the requirements are not obvious.  Fun to play with though.  I'm not sure most of these items will be of any real use, compared to my vast industrial base, but it's a nice change of pace, hanging out in my tree making magical stuff.

Yikes!  Lighting a netherrack fire under a cauldron in a tree house is actually pretty dangerous.  Duh.  I made a fairly safe cobble pit around it, but will still only light it when I'm making stuff.  I tossed in 1 lapis and 1 iron and got 2 gold nuggets.  not a super useful recipe but it shows that the system works.

Tired eyes, done for the night.

Comments

Popular Posts