Notes about liquid storage in FTB Ultimate Pack

Before xyCraft added their multi-tanks, I often went through all the trouble of making those iron Railcraft multi-tanks.  Special materials, lots of extra crafting steps.  But the xyCraft tanks have a wider range of sizes and can be made out of any solid material, only the valves and Item IO block need special crafting, and glass viewers if you want.  So, for large storage projects, I'll throw together a xy tank.  My choice for long-term storage.  But I wasted a lot of time on smaller projects that way, like pumping out oil puddles, sometimes running 50 to 100 blocks of waterproof pipes to the nearest tank, only to get 20 or 30 buckets of oil per puddle.

There's a much more compact solution.  I'm planning to tap a few new oil wells, and this time I'm thinking I'll just bring out a liquid transposer and a stirling engine.  Stick 64 cans in there.  A few pieces of coal coke to power it up.  It's pretty mind-boggling (and way out of scale) to be able to carry around many stacks of oil cans.  Could you imagine a guy in the real world trying to carry 256 gallons of oil in 256 separate containers?  Or liters, or whatever these imaginary units are.  Anyway, I find myself taking the same route, filling a stack of cans from far-off xy tanks.  It could just as well just be a liquid transposer; including its internal storage, I can actually get 74 cans filled per visit.  And if there's more than that in the well, it will just fill up a fresh stack of cans while I'm gone.  No big tanks needed.

Back at my home base, though, I have one big xy tank for each important liquid ... even if I can't keep them all filleed.  when I make a run for oil or lava, I have a place to hoard it.  A note about getting liquids into the xy tanks, though: it will eat your cans if you put full cans into the tank interface directly.  So again, liquid transposer to the rescue -- put it up against a xy tank valve, powered with a stirling engine and a few pieces of fuel, click the bucket icon in the transposer's UI to show the empty bucket, and it will feed the liquids into the big tank and hand back the empty cans.  I'm planning to head out to my far village of Auckland to move the oil pump; I will probably dismantle the temporary xy tank there and just put a liquid transposer right near the tank.  Will save about 20 waterproof pipes that way, too.  There's another oil gusher out in the wastelands ... instead of building the big fancy tank, I can put a little safehouse around the one block machine.

Here is a look at one of my super-compact oil wells:


This has a pump powered by 2 redstone engines, then an liquid transposer powered by a stirling engine, ALL getting their signal from one redstone torch.  Any time I'm in the area I can put 64 empty cans in the transposer, and take out the 64 full cans from my last visit.  And it's total size is 2x2x3 blocks.


Comments

Popular Posts