Feed the Beast world

This is a quick intro to our current Feed the Beast world.   I hope to do a video tour soon showing how it has come together for us.  But here's the backstory:

The spawn point was in a pretty spectacular redwood forest.  Thanks to the ExtraBiomes XL mod.  Really a shock the first time you see them.  You think you've seen big trees before!  (By the way, as a challenge, I elevatored up one redwood and completely harvested it from top to bottom once.  Got about 250 blocks of redwood and 400 leaves.  Note: you can't make plantballs out of redwood leaves, so they went into the Recycler.)  OTOH the redwood biome is not a great place to start.  Shady, lots of mobs.  I did build a little shack about 15x15, did my few nights of tunneling, got a fence around about a 20x30 spot.  Setup a little 3x3 crop circle of wheat out front, and a manual peat bog out back.  That was my home for a while.

I found a desert about 200 blocks downriver, and you may have noticed that I love setting up towns in deserts.  So I rushed to put up two small cobble buildings with wood roofs, a bit of fence between, and fought to clear more space day by day.  Up the hill (redwoods) I built a workspace for Forestry mod stuff -- never got a chance to tinker with that mod before -- it was a little 5x12 spot at the edge of a cliff but I had my mining turtle (soon as I had 3 diamonds!) carve out a big 30x15x5 safe work area inside the mountain.  Below that I made another work area against the cliff: small facade, big area carved out into the hill.  Just feel safer that way.

The building across from my house I turned into a Thermal Expansion mod workshop.  What great machines!  Configurable, sensible, nice color-coded interfaces, even spit items into pipes with no engines needed.  Another mod I hadn't seen before.

I then had my mining turtle dig its usual 3x3x2 tunnel back 300m to my first dwelling ... had to go around the spawn area, even though there were caves down there the spawn protection meant I couldn't even place a torch in that zone.

Anyway, that was the beginning of my activity on this new FTB world.  The town is now quite a sprawling network of workshops and experiments!  You can follow its development on this blog with the tag "beast".


Comments

Popular Posts