Day 12-13: lava / obsidian / gate

This one video has quite a lot of useful progress ...

Day 12-13

Here I decide to take a plunge and try to find diamonds.  If I found diamonds I would make a diamond pickaxe and go looking for lava.  With a bucket of water I turn lava into obsidian, then show you a safe way to harvest obsidian using running water to avoid any lava traps.  I manage all this in the chasm near my house, and even have time to build a Nether portal before the sun goes down.  Quite a productive day.  Though it also shows how easy it is to lose track of time and days when you're down in the depths.

Meanwhile, I get the first pumpkin from my garden and plant a few more things.

Now, it's actually premature for me to try going through the portal to the Nether.  You reaaaalllly need a heap of arrows to go there safely, because there will probably be ghasts bombarding you with fireballs from above.  The first nether trip can be very dangerous.  I recommend bringing stone to build a stone fortress to defend, and then just dig down and avoid the surface for a while.

However, before attempting a Nether trip, I should try wrangling some chickens (for feathers, to make arrows), kill a few spiders or find an abandoned mine (for string to make a bow), and round up some cattle (for leather, to make books, to start on an enchanting area).  So, the Nether gate is there, but I expect it to take a few more days before I'm ready for a trip through it.

Comments

Popular Posts