Day 4-7: a place to settle

My day-by-day video series continues with ...

Day 4-5: punch a cow, man
More frozen wastes, gimme a break!

Day 6-7: Dr. V's 4-minute house
Finally, I find a decent place to settle down.  A desert.

I like the deserts.  They're wide-open terrain and can easily be terraformed into a more lush landscape by bringing in dirt and trees and crops from around the world.  And this particular spot is good because there are chasms in both directions (for ores) and rivers and trees as well, and animals of all sorts within easy reach.

It shows that my overall strategy of walking each cardinal direction until noon from some initial secure cave is a sensible initial exploration method.  Except for a few defective ocean world, I've always been able to find a good spot within a few game days.

Once I finally decide to set up shop, it's a race against the setting sun to get the house together.  I manage to build it in under 4 minutes, and it's not a tiny shack, either.  Lots of room to expand.  Of course, I ran out of wood, and almost didn't have enough material to finish the ceiling.  Always fun to get a new settlement started before the bogies come out at night.



Comments

Popular Posts