Day 8-11: creepers & safety

A few more day-by-day video posts ...

Day 8-9: three creeper blast
I try to get back to my original hole-in-the-wall for supplies, fight a little team of 3 creepers (funny outcome!), and explore that crazy rough terrain of caves in between here & there.

Day 10-11: farm & chasm
I get my settlement fenced in with cobblestone walls (a fairly recent addition to the MC universe), setup a basic wheat farm, show how to plant pumpkins.  Also a good demo of how to successfully joust a creeper: rush at it, give it a whack, run backwards -- your sword should give it enough of a kickback that it puffs but doesn't explode, and 3 such hits with an iron sword will always take out the green meanie.

I started doing these in two-day segments.  Just seems easier.  Fewer files to manage, fewer files for viewers to search through to find the next episode.  And it's a reasonable span of time per episode, 20 minutes plus or minus a few.

By the way, these are fun to do, but also challenging.  It IS live action, after all.  Sometimes I intend to demonstrate something but forget some material, or the sound is too high or too low, or a monster appears unexpectedly.  And of course my throat has been scratchy since the moment I decided I should start recording these things.  Or the right name for an item just falls out of my head just when I need it.  Also, it takes a lot of time: they have to be recorded, and then viewed at least once while I make editing decisions, then edited, viewed again, exported to mpeg format, uploaded and described, etc.  Easily an hour per segment.  I'm tempted to go cut many sequences short, or speed through them, but then I might miss explanations for game mechanics or some of the funny bits.  So most of it just "live as it happens" and spending more time distilling them is overkill.

Anyway, the whole goal of that series is to show Minecraft basics, and at this point I think I've covered how to survive the first few days fairly well.  Hopefully.  But I guess it's not done until I've made a portal, gone to the nether, brought back some blaze rods (that most elusive of game materials), made the enchanting table, brewing stand .... it's never-ending.

I'm not sure how many more of these I should do.  I can keep going until I've built a whole small town, I suppose.  But only if someone shows some interest in it.

Also, note my little ad at the end of each video.  I've had over 500 stories & poems published since 1986, from sci-fi to fantasy, horror, weird, funny stuff.  I hope some of my readers or viewers will find that interesting, and come on over to check out my other work:  scott.virtes.com

Comments

Popular Posts