Change of pace: Words with Friends

Gaming is not all Minecraft.  I try lots of other things.  Somehow I got sucked into Words with Friends on Facebook.  Fun at first: challenge your friends, usually beat them due to vocabulary overkill.  But it gets old after a while.

First, the game uses a freakish dictionary which allows ZA, QI, CWM and other nutty things.  As a fairly serious Scrabble player, this corrodes our ability to focus our brains on official Scrabble dictionary (yes it has its own flaws), so if we ever do one of those tournaments again, we'll probably be useless.

A lot of the words people play end up on the board not because they thought of a good word, but because they clearly just dragged tiles onto to the board and hit Submit until some combination was accepted.  I even find myself doing that sometimes.  LAME.  Comically, when I teased one player about it, he said, "I'm not responsible for actually knowing what any of these words mean."  That sums it up pretty well.  It's a word game where some huge % of players don't even care what words mean.

I'd really like to see a stats page, with my overall wins/losses, and wins/losses vs each player.  I guess I'm just madly competitive.  I suppose wimps could have an option to turn that off.  And I know they have that info, they just don't let anyone see it.  Someone's feelings might get hurt.

I still play a few words per day, but it's just an oddly shallow experience.  More of a blur now.

Comments

Popular Posts