MultiMC to the rescue ... FTB Unleashed & Unlimited

2/23/2022 MultiMC: FTB Unleashed

As I said, I'm tired of relying on these launchers that keep changing and merging and dropping content.  Hats off to those teams that created all those launchers -- they work miracles to get folks up and running on multiple modpacks side by side.  But I'm trying to keep multiple legacy packs running, and some of these go back 8 or 9 years.  I don't expect every little detail to follow forward.  So, I did some research and figured I should test out MultiMC.

It was easy to get FTB Unleashed up and running in a new folder.  Just go to FTB Legacy, choose the pack, copy over all my files from the instance that the Curseforge now refuses to run, and after haggling over one file that got zeroes out, there it is.  The game launched in just 39 seconds and there is my city full of IC2 and Thermal Expansion and Forestry machines.  Thumbs up.

I had forgotten how far along I was in this world.  Pretty much endgame for everything.  My bee base has all the machines from Extra Bees, up to the top tier.  This version of Forestry has the Lepidopterist Chest and the weird Escritoire for butterflies.  I have a full Applied Energistics system with terminals in my main lab, bee lab and TE lab.  I have several stacks of saplings, and a chest marked "saplings to biomass."  There are tesseracts to send that biomass to a biomass tank somewhere else, another tesseract to bring in power from my main grid, and iron tanks in the basement with 103 of liquid DNA and 84b of honey.  There is a ComputerCraft terminal setup, which as I recall has a file of all bee breeding combinations.

Outside I have my two main lines of automated apiaries, 14 of them total.  With all kinds of trees in the area, probably a lot of cross-pollination going on.  There is my glass house for butterflies.

I have a DartCraft lab with an infuser powered by a clockwork engine (click for MJ power) and a written book on a Bibliocraft desk explaining all the useful enchantments.  The upgrade tome is only level 3.  I don't think I discovered the fun items like the rainbow shears in this world, but it would make a fun addition all these years later.  There is a bed and an uncrafting table.
 
Next was one of the later buildings to be added, but it's pretty sparse.  The plan was to be the armorer and blacksmith, but there are just a few chests and an anvil.  One wooden chest was full of enchanted bows, mostly Power I, so I took a few to teh anvil and upgraded by bow to Power III.

10 Simpson Way was my Nether house with a bloodwood door.  Funny bit about "Simpson Way".  Back in 1996 I opened a software business with 6 employees to finish some contracts for Corel Corp, and the address was 1313-K Simpson Way.  Barrels for netherrack and tainted soil, a Mystcraft book to some spot in the Nether, a little chest minecart with nether drops, and some Nether berries and a 5-block wart farm.  It's mostly for atmosphere, nothing on an industrial scale.  Steps lead down to the portal in the chas, below.

The main lab has a wall of IC2 machines, some hooked up to AE buffers.  There is a drop chest for the AE network, and the AE system currently holds 4571 cugar cane, 2522 sand, 1922 stone, 1770 coal, 1597 gravel, 1589 beeswax, etc etc.  On the roof is the first ME Molecular Assembler multi-block I ever built.  It has about 30 recipes.  Downstairs are worktables for IC2 recipes, and upstairs the recipes are for AE components.  And there's a dragon egg for looks.

Next to that is the larger lab that I framed up in whitestone and white force bricks, with room for four of each IC2 machine type and hookups for AE terminals, but at this stage of endgame you don't spend as much time processing ores.

The power station has a Mass Fabricator that fills with cobble from the usual aqueous accumuator and igneous extruder down below.  55 scrap boxes to stash for a future unboxing party.  There are 10M EU stored up in an MFSU, mostly powered by the 5 hybrid solar panels on the roof, each generating 64 EU/tick.

Outside: an MFR automated farm for cactus and sugar cane, and the first god-squid setup I ever built: that's a squid trapped by jailer's safari net (so it will never despawn) with an MFR rancher pulling out about two ink sacs per second.

50 Spartan Way is a tunnel entrance the goes along the wall of the split chasm with the Nether portal down below, and a ladder going up to the hollowed-out insides of the big cliff to the east of town.  My whole mass fab setup used to be here, now there is just an end stone pattern on the ground marked "Soul Shard Pattern", where you replace some blocks with glowstone then rclick with a diamond to make an empty soul shade, or something like that -- it has been a while.  The floor above that is empty except for a chest with lots of Thaumcraft shards.  The top of the cliff/bluff is walled off and there is an old old power plant with just 5 windmills going into a battery box.

10 South Run is Mystcraft and dyes, with a few books to other locations.  But I spent almost all my time in this main City, aside from one dimension where I ran some quarries, which I almost never do.  The books go to Age 2 Surface, Age 3 Rainy Swamp, The End, Abandoned Mine and Bangalore (one of the only villages I ever found in this world).

20 South Run is my Thermal Expansion sawmill.  Just the one sawmill and a carpenter, not used much.

40 South Run is my Thermal Expansion lab with its AE terminal.  2 pulverizers, 3 powered furnaces (2 of them with ME interfaces), 2 cyclic assemblers, and a pair of machines for molten redstone and molten ender.  Villagers trapped in various corners will pay an emerald for 9 gold, or sell proven grafters.  ANd there's my little setup to make niter from sandstone.

Beyond that wall is my spawner/grinder with 12 barrels for the common mob drops.

Next chamber is my smeltery with a dark room with force brick floors where you can drop off generator fuel in an obsidian pipe and the oreberries will be harvested and sent to a chest nearby.  It has all the tool stations and a ladder down to a mine.

Up one floor is my main liquid storage: iron tanks with 713b of lava (being fed by an ender tank from a Nether pump), 156b or oil, 555b of creosote oil, 193b of seed oil, 131b of biomass (going down), 864b of ethanol (FULL), 725b of mob essence, with a variety of tesseracts to move liquids in and out.  Magmatic engines feed the Railcraft crusher upstairs.  There is a tunnel with villager trading stalls leading out to the butterfly house.

Third floor: rock crusher, assembly table, coke oven, blast furnace, then four biofuel generators feeding into four redstone energy cells, and out to tesseracts, way overpowered.  A side passage has the only sludge boiler in town.

Take the ladder up to the surface to get to one of my favorite OP farms ever: IC2 crops and stacks of berry bushes, all auto-harvested by MFR harvesters, with the items sorted and converted to biofuel, biomass, fruit juice, veggie juice.  Iron tanks: 343b of fruit juice, 172b of veggie juice, 739b of purple biofuel and 921b of more purple biofuel, more than my generators can handle.  Pumpkins & melons gets turned to seeds and squeezed to seed oil, and tesseracted away to the big tank across town.  It's such a fun and complex setup, but all made obsolete by those solar panels.

Across town I have a Forestry multiblock farm growing force trees, going down to two squeezers, to a tank with 405b of liquid force, to a tesseract that sends it to a powerplant I had forgotten about.  I think it was under the Thermal Expansion lab ... run across town ... yup.  3 more cyclic assemblers and a line-up of 8 force engines with a nearby cow for milk, feeding 4 radstone energy cells that were oddly empty right now.  This lineup was special because it was technically controlled by a COmputerCraft setup which would automatically turn on the engines if the energy levels dropped below a certain level.  I remember chatting with the guy who wrote the controlled program at the time.  Then forgetting how it even worked.

Two floors below that is a 3x3 subway tunnel going off into the distance in both directions.

Well, that was a blast, and it was good to grab one of my old worlds back from the clutches of obsolescence.  Now, can I salvage my FTB Ultimate world?  It was old old 1.4.7 but had the super fun version of GregTech with all the extra chemical machines and multiblocks.  But at some point, it loaded up with no mods at all and stripped all modded blocks out of my city.

Woo hoo!  There's my FTB Unlimited world again after being hopelessly corrupted.  I love how quickly the old versions load.  It comes up in under 20 seconds!  The big crash was in Nov 2021, and I can't find the stick I was using for backups at the time, but I had an older backup from 2019.  Since I only visit each world a once or twice a year, there shouldn't be much lost.  Maybe if I go back and look at logs, I will see some bees that I have to breed again, but my main powerplant has an IDSU with a Billion EU and my AE system has 7 items with over 500 units each, which is a lot for me.

There's my street lined with big Xycraft tanks.  And my two alvearies with the 4 mutator blocks each -- if that doesn't get the new breeds, I don't know what will.  Lots of weird bees: fermented, caffeine, steadfast, ender.  My crazy bee lab with 3 inoculators, 2 synthesizers, a purifier and isolator, all kinds of gadgets lined up along the walls, and an array of about 40 chests up on the roof.  Two more alvearies out front, running radioactive and ruby bees.

 



There's my Mystcraft lab, with books to 15 shrooms, desert 2 suns, 18 Mushworld, Nether bedrock, icy mob waste, desert world 8, 17 forestburn, and Yuma, Redrocks Rail and Twilight Base.  Some of those do not sound friendly.  There is my End stone house with a book to the End, next to my Twilight Forest Embassy house with three books to key points in that fun dimension.

The main lab full of GregTech machines is epic.  And the second floor has a complete ore tripling setup from the old old Factorization mod.  Those multiblock machines are like old friends from another life.

All I can say is WOW, and IT'S BAAACK.

I salvaged two old worlds, and MultiMC is faster and easier than I ever thought possible.  I had been putting off this old world reclamation projectfor a while now.  Maybe with its extended Java memory options I can play those other packs that were getting memory errors.  Wow, it has tabs to view the worlds in a game instance and launch them directly, a screenshots manager

Woo hoo, party time.

Comments

Popular Posts