MultiMC: more worlds revived

2/24/2022 MultiMC: more worlds

I fired up MultiMC and created a new instance of my Tekkit Classic world.  It loads in 12 seconds, and appears to be intact.  



One benefit of this process is that my C drive is dangerously close to being full, and the default Roaming/.minecraft files are all on the C drive.  So, another 315 megs moved over to D.  And they can all be backed up from a single location.

Tekkit: Hexxit is next.  Boy I had a fun series over 100 videos server way back when, and it was on a shared server with occasional guest appearances by Chris, Justin and Andy.  Create the instance, copy over my files, and boom ... loaded up in 28 seconds and there I was at my Zoo in the village of Arden, where I left off.  Tp'd to Sky Bowl of Doom -- I remember battling my way up through that structure with Andy, and when he died he stuck around as a guiding spirit instead of respawning and running back to get his stuff (which I had stashed in a chest), then I tp'd to Castle Vee, where I had so many chests and crates of stuff, I never did figure out a good way to organize it all.  Good times.  And another 615megs moved from C to D.

The shortage of hard drive space for swap files was probably one reason some of the packs had trouble running.  Now, let's try a more challenging pack: PopularMMOs Epic Proportions Season 10, which I modified heavily.  It's already on the D drive, so I won't get that benefit, but MultiMC claimed to have some crash recovery features, so let's give it a spin.  I figure the best way is to rename the originally downloaded mod folder as "mods - original pack" since copying all my old instance files will bring over the complete and correct "mods" folder.  Wow, that world is 1.6 gigs, must be my second largest one after Tekkit VeeTech at 2.4G.  v1.7.10, load time 50 seconds.  I wanted to see how it recovers from crashes so I hopped into another dimension for a while.  Crystevia, no crash.  How about the Deeplands?  I always had issues in there.  

Yup, crash.  A Nevermine ticking entity.

MultiMC brings up its own scrolling text game log window with buttons at the bottom.  Hit the Launch button and we're back in-game in under a minute.  Branch mining up in the ceiling layers for a while.  Crash for a foraging master.  Back up in 30 seconds.  I had enough deeplands gems between my pack and chest to tp to the lottoman for 10 formation staff totems.  Here goes ... nothing but seeds.  Head home.

Now, let's see how it handles memory settings.  Making a new instance for my VeeTech2 (1.10.2) tech pack.  The one that had OutOfMemory errors a few nights back.  1.8 gigs, another contender for the biggest chunk of drive space.  Launch at 10:18:00.  Up and playable at ... wow, I wasn't joking about it taking 10 minutes to load ... at 10:34 the hard drive sounded like a space launch and it still wasn't ready.  It has 3.2G of memory (95%) before it even starts, so it's not looking good for this one to actually run on this laptop.  

Maybe instead of a whole new gaming system, the cheaper solution would be to get an extra 8G or 16G of RAM for the laptop.  Specs say it takes up to 32G of RAM.  That would be a huge improvement, since most of these packs should max out at 5-6G.

It's getting late.  Let's move over some more of the Technic packs.  10:37 start on Big Dig, quick download ... 10:38 drag over my files, hit Launch.  10:39:40, it's up.  10:41:40, I punched some cow soul plants and had an apple biscuit.  Looks like the town is still there.  Always bummed that the big color-coded periodic table I setup with wool blocks won't work because the MineChem elements don't display on item frames properly -- the element symbols don't render, and that's the important part.

10:43:30 Add Instance: Technic: Attack of the B-Team, start downloading.  10:44:15 done, rename the mods foly own files over.  10:46 hit the Launch button.  Not that I ever did much in this world.  I pretty much just have one big tower in a gorgeous Lavender Fields biome, a few plots of crops, the very start of witchery and galacticraft.  10:45:55, up and running.  Chests on each floor, stuff from Chisel, Random Things, qCraft, a Thermal Expansion production line with Cyclic Assembler, Flan's weapon mod, Better Storage, MFR BioFuel generators, Hats, Morph, Food Plus, Minions, Fossils/Archaeology, ProjectRed.  I'm pretty sure I added TropicCraft to this one, so I can have a pina colada at sunset and drop into a world full of dinosaurs and weird traders -- yup.  Other mods that made the pack interesting but I never did much with them: Archimedes Ships, Darwin (weird mutant animals), Carpenter's Blocks (I just never get around to making them), Hamsterrific, Hamsters Forever, Necromancy (yuck), Secret Rooms, Statues, TrailMix, WorldOfDinos (which just adds the Fossils mods dinos to their own world).


Time's up for tonight.  I cleared 3 gigs of space from my C drive, and the only pack left to move over is my favorite Technic VeeTech pack.  So glad tomorrow is friday.

##


Comments

Popular Posts