Overgrown: Pinkly beanstalk trying to kill me?

6/1/2021 Overgrown-1-1

I took a few nights off to do other things.  End of third week at the new job, then a three day weekend with lots of activity and walking, and some new board games for my birthday.  Now, back to the (ir)regularly scheduled world ...

I hung around the colony, helping the one builder completely dismantle the old Town Hall, and the new build area stretched most of the way out to the ship, so I had to extend the land.  Then the guy broke my row of chests and drawers, even though they were 3 blocks outside the contruction tape line.  Then he dug the whole plot down another layer and I got bored and went to clear more dungeon halls.  When I cam back up, we finished the dig ... until he started digging ANOTHER layer.  I don't know what he's doing at this point, but it's about a 40x40 area that has already undercut the hillside and the Town Hall build table is now floating three layers above the ground.  Over an hour of waste.  Can't say I care for how these guys repair or upgrade buildings.

##


6/2/2021 Overgrown-1-1

I got away from the confused colony for a while, and went exploring.  I found two more crater towns, with a total of 18 repair paste, so that was a win.  They are reasonably close together, just begging to be connected by roads.  I raided some cloud chests and one of those super-high-up glass clouds with the chest.  Got two squid pets, a brewing stand pet, two quiver pets ... those are always fun to collect and try out.

I cheated myself one bit of beanstalk grow and found a jungle not far from Rustic, with a little pyramid nearby.  Cleared a 5x5 plot (plus a wide margin) and planted my one lost bean.  I hung around the area for two days/nights and explored, finding an extensive mineshaft in and under the surface of a mesa biome.  Came back, no growth yet, but we shall see.

##


6/3/2021 Overgrown-1-1

Hanging around the beanstalk area, I found a dungeon totally hidden in the trees, not visible on the map, and spent some time down there.  About 3 nights into the vigil, (2228) the sapling did start showing those warning particles, and I got a screenshot.  (2239) still doing the particles, no beanstalk yet, and morning is here.



Somewhere along the way, I left my silk touch pickaxe in a chest or bag, since I don't have it anymore.

(2252) Night again, still particles, still no beanstalk.  (2256) Just AFK on a nearby treetop.  Baby zombies and bluebirds are in the area.  (2304) Daytime, raining.  (2310) night, eaining, no stalk. (2313) BOOM, thunderbolt, there it is!


Now, what did the author mean about the tree trying to kill me?  First block of wood, okay.  Stalkstone inside, break that and ... Mining Fatigue II, Fall Fail II, Fatigue III, Wither 0:21, some angry silverfish and 3 of those things that fly around in woodland mansions.  Killed one, got a name tag saying Dex the Vex.  Love a guy with a sense of humor.  Chop one more stalkstone, same, but the debuffs are in a cloud inside the tree, can be avoided by cutting from a few blocks back.  More vexes with funny names: Hex the Vex and Friend of Fee.  Flew up to a branch, cool: there's a skeleton skull and iron bars looking like a sksleton coming out of the trunk.  Beanstalk heart wood (damaged), gives of some vapors again, wider area, but I chopped them from 4 blocks back, avoided.  Breathed them this time to see what they do: Levitation 0:28?  That's weird.  Whoa, broke a few more heartwood blocks and a bunch of beanstalk eye blocks appeared inside the trunk.  Probably not a good idea to break those.

Yeah, vexes & spiders, Mining Fatigue IV, Jump Fail III, Fatigue all for 7:18, Bad Luck II (1:46), Glowing (0:37), Blindness (0:22).  Good thing I can fly to a nearby treetop.  Yowch.  More funny guys: Tex the Vex, Friend of Fo, and a blaze, which is a mean thing to spawn in a jungle: Infernal Stalk Wraith.  The author said the leaves at the top will try to kill you, and guess what, they act like quicksand so I had to tp back to the nearby pyramid.  What a mess.  A serious challenge, as advertised.

A cut a few more blocks inside the base and got a lime shulker box.  I can view the goodies in inventory, but if I try to open it ... the box is called "and so we begin" and it is locked.  Next chest is "Mr G's Lunchbox" and has 64+37 bones, 5 thief's bones, 15 witch's flesh, 4 bones bread (non-dairy) (16 uses each), 64+49 gunpowder, albino apple, 3 snacks, 6 worms called "snacks", 8 bread, hearty blood stew, 4 rabbit's feet, spider eye.  Looking up into the tree, two beanstalk core blocks (one gave nothing, one gave a beanstalk heartworm), then a column of beanstalk eyes ...

Very cool challenge, but I have to get out for the night.  You really need a strong safehouse right next to one of these.  Break a block, fly inside.  The silverfish might be teleporting to me, since all 5 always find me, but they are the least of the worries.

Comments

Popular Posts