Overgrown 1.12.2: ups & downs of building a new pack

8/1/2000  Overgrown 1.12.2

While giving a tour of the world, I went into a new Roguelike dungeon.  Actually, I thought it was a tower I had already cleared, but it was a new one.  The first floor was pretty tame, almost no side passages.  I remembered that the newer versions had smaller dungeons but with higher quality of design, instead of quantity.  But there was an odd room full of redstone blocks, six dispensers swapping sticks back and forth, which I could not turn off once it was started.  So, the whole time I was clearing level two, I could hear the clicking and crackling noise from that contraption.  That would have been creepy enough, just a room that makes unnerving sounds.  But it never really made sense to me.  Interesting, but what was it really doing?  After getting my butt kicked in a mausoleum room and running back to the surface, it turned out that the crackling sound was actually ... a set ot 6 dispensers which had been blasting off at least 100 fireworks the whole time.  Just wow.  100% unexpected, over-the-top detail in the encounter design.  We ended the night just chilling on top of the tower watching the lights go off.  Another stroke of modder genius.  10 out of 10.


##

8/2/2020 Overgrown 1.12.2

I was able to rollback those changes and get Calculator and Rockhounding Surface added.  Mystical Agriculture turned my trees to liquids again, and swapped a ton of other blocks.  So, skip that.  I have been looking for a mod to add some animal life, but every one I saw had comments about animals killing villagers (ZAWA), preventing vanilla mob spawns (several), or just pointless looking at things (Birdwatching mod).  I guess it's going to be Animania again ... Purplicious_Cow is one of those rock-solid modders, pretty sure he also created the Inventory Pets, even has a pet named after him.  And Exotic Birds.  After all, my theme is "nature gone wild".  Would like to have lions and tigers and bears (oh my), and think Project Zulu was the best mod for wild animals.  Since then a lot of modders have tried and seem to have gotten bogged down in details.

Well, let's see if it loads ... for some reason, I already have multiple colors of cows and pigs and chickens, which all say Minecraft as their source mod.  I wonder if maybe Millenaire is the one that colored them?  Of course I have to walk about 800 blocks from Brixton to get to any new worldgen.

Animania, good to go.  I saw a few different colored peacocks out where I found that second Maya base.  Along the way I found what looks like a desert temple but is made of cobble and mossy cobble, and when digging down to where the treasure room would normally be, there were stone brick chambers, some of them with spawners.  I don't know what that is, but it's good for a future adventure.

Exotic Birds ... I ran home through some un-generated lands and found bird nests on top of many of the short trees at the edge of the desert.  Prefect, just what I was looking for, another series of items to locate and collect.  Finally, on the cliff overlooking the Byzantine town (which always crashes exactly once when it loads), a hummingbird zoomed by, too fast to even get the cursor on, but it was clear what it was by the image.

I think rounds out the pack: about 300 plants and crops, 50 or 60 types of trees and wood to build with, the 50+ Animania animals and about 100 birds.  Plus chisel blocks for variety, all the Compressed Blocks and wacky Pinkly Sheep and Vanilla Food Pantry stuff ... and the 4 detailed cultures of Millenaire to trade with.


##

8/3/2020 Overgrown 1.12.2


Okay, so I squeezed in Pam's BrewCraft at the last minute.  Something around Brixton is crashing the game every time I get near.  I used to be Millenaire, and would be caught and returned to the title screen, but now it's a null pointer exception with no mod listed, and it does not go away.  Mod developer threads say that happens when a mod tries to add "air" to an inventory, so it's probably related to an item from a mod that I tried and then removed.  So I used NBTExplorer to edit level.dat to move me to my india3 warp.  That sucks if my biggest town is off limits, though that is the issue with messing with mods.

I started a mine from inside the dry well at india3, and connected it to a corner of the ocean monument just off the coast.  Yup, that's the one with the portals to Cavern dimensions, so I visited those and did some mining.

##

8/4/2020 Overgrown 1.12.2

Tonight, it just wouldn't load.  Multiple crashes before even getting to the game screen.  Out of memory.  Restart the computer.  Finally, loads the system but hangs for 15 minutes trying to load the world.  Crap.

Well, here's a crazy error: "Invalid id 4096 - maximum id range exceeded".  So Forge itself has a max of 4096 items.  Wow.  Remove Alchemistry, Aquaculture, cucumber lib, pickle tweaks, MoarSigns, and Ping.  Trying to keep Animania (need those animals) and Pam's BrewCraft (only a few items), along with Exotic Birds -- the world was running with those.

Try 1.16.1 Aspiria for a change.  Fought some phantoms, but it's just not fun without Anne playing.  All the players I used to chat with are no longer there.

So I played my 1.10.2 Overgrowth world for a bit.  Again, a wide, sprawling world with a ton of things to do.  I hung around Taigaville and swapped out some crops.  Gave the Animania animals a water pool, water trough and trough of wheat, and some seeds for the chickens ... and they still just say "hungry, thirsty" all the time.  I found a fluid cow of fruit juice, and on the walk back to SPawn Town, a cow full of Liquid Starlight, which seem both surreal and poetic.

##

Comments

Popular Posts