Technic VeeTech: Twilight Forest leaf dungeons

 7/2/2020 Technic VeeTech

A few more visits.  Some more organized than others.  Last night I just wanted to explore, so I ran off and found some more landmarks and targets, nothing really special.

I added a few sections of road inside Baltica and Yakutsk, added a few buildings, terraformed a bit, and connected Oddfields back to the Cathedral village hub (pocket dimension).

I played a bit in my Big Dig world but it crashed while moving something in inventory and it was getting late.  My rocket won't take off, and I just hang around making different flavors of biscuits.

Lunch break ...

I grabbed my portable pump kit (backpack) from where I left it out at the pyramid, made a composter and went to Yakutsk to clean up that sewage pit.  I guess the Buildcraft pump did not recognize the liquid, so I bailed it out by hand.  41 fertlizer and no more eyesore.

A fun item: I setup a tumbleweed farm while I was out at the pyramid.  Plant aloe vera seeds two blocks diagonally from a water block: it grows, creates the watery mark beneath it, then grws 8 tumbleweeds around itself (cut with axe) at an alarming speed, AND the top yellow flower when it grows will drop yellow dye.  I think the tumbleweeds can be turned into string.  Handy multpurpose plant.

I ground through a bunch of weak essence, bumped it up to extreme magical essence, and made my first skeleton seeds.  I am almost up to another 4 extreme, and will go for the spider seeds after that.

Oh, I didn't know that some of the huge trees in the Twilight Forest had leaf dungeons in them.  These are about 7x7 chambers surrounded by squarish leaf shapes, containing a cave spider spawner and a chest.  And sure enough, climbing to the tops of a few trees and listening for spiders, I found one.  And my first Tree of Time sapling.  Planted it at my base.  It's amazing that there could be such a big secret in one of my all-time favorite dimensions, where I have spent 100+ hours exploring on my own.

###

7/5/2020 Technic VeeTech

Over the weekend, I found some more leaf dungeons in the Twilight Forest, but no new super saplings.  Though I did bring a robust twilight oak back to the overworld and planted it just outside Redwood Base as a landmark that can be seen from 100 blocks away.  Speaking of landmarks, I showed Anne how to make a starstone beacon block, so now there's one outside my Cathedral base.

I had some other Twilight Forest adventures.  I went back down the original 2x2 portal and saw it came out at the edge of a dark forest over a pitch-black pit that needed exploring.  I cleared out some weird infernal super kobold and lit it up a bit.  Then back at my base a kobold followed me home with its head eerily floating a full block above its body.  TOok it out with the legia bow, and it threw me some wheat (magnet mode), and in a hilarious moment, I turned around on the rooftop I was on, and all the rams were looking up at me with their big rammy eyes because they wanted the wheat so bad.  I had just tripled their enclosure size and tried some breeding.  Anyway, funny stuff.

I spent an hour bouncing across treetops on Age101, the Rainbow Colony world.  But it's endless extreme jungle and Twilight trees, no flat area big enough for a library to generate.  BUT ... yes, the biggest trees DO have the leaf dungeons in this dimension.  I wasn't really expecting that, but I guess it's part of the biome's terrain gen.

I remarkably remembered how to make Mystcraft books and created a new dimension.  Dim 635.  Green sunset, strongholds, meadows biome.  I went in warily, but it turned out okay.  A really odd mix of twilight biomes and ... nether fortresses on the surface.  Enchanted forest plus nether brick = weird enough.  But then the blazes come out and start forest fires.  I had a run-in with some support creepers which apparently cannot be taken home in a safari net.  Boom.  One almost blew up my linking book home -- it dropped into the last gap as I was throwing up a crude shack around the book to protect it.  I had to leap out and get it from a nearby treetop.  Yikes.  Almost stranded.

The new Age 635 dimension is quite an adventure.  I was stuck for days in stormy half-darkness in a field of nether fortress pieces (a creepy dark city) at the edge of a desert blasted by pits of bubbling oil.  Ran across a field toward a library, stopped in to light up and repair a ruined temple, only to get hit by a TNT creeper with a support creeper.  The red guy hurled TNT in through the windows, boom, no more windows or wall, and the yellow guy kept healing him while I bounce-hopped away with maybe two hearts left.  There are tendrils of nether quartz ore, brown momma spiders whose babies cry if you attack them -- well, maybe they should leave me alone, then? -- all the Primitive Mobs from skeleton warriors to festive creepers, and then the infernal buffs when you least expect them.  But tons of ore and resources and new vistas to explore.  The nether structures look like funky little cities, just waiting to be colonized, but my eyes just can't function when surrounded nether brick, it's all just too dark.  Even in a world like this one which is evenly illuminated, no need for torches when mining.

I ended up dropping off 3 chests of stuff at Rainbow Colony, and 2 more back at the cathedral.

###

Comments

Popular Posts