Places mod - begin at the door
I got behind on posting further adventures in our 1.12.2 world, but wanted to fast forward to axplore some amazing new mods.
260720
After some headache days, I got back on MultiMC today and built a bare bones mod pack to explore the Places mod, which looks like a massive set of backrooms/liminal dimensions. I kept a few basic mods: JourneyMap, backpacks, iron chests. Other than that, I am keeping the pack very minimal. I want to see what these big new mods do, without getting too distracted by farming or factories or other stuff.
It only took about 10 minutes to find the ruins of the house with the yellow door in the basement. For fun, it spawned next to a lava pool and was on fire when I got there. That's why it stood out. It was in the bottom of a huge basin of stone on the side of a hill, with a useful 20x20x5 cave in the face of the cliff a few blocks away. Perfect base.
Well, after an hour of exploring, I can say it's fun to look around. I realize that having a map is cheaty, but it actually adds to the experience IMHO, since I can see odd patterns on the map and then figure out how to get over there through all the twists and turns. It's a constant tease of "what's that weird shape over there?"
So, that's what the Backrooms dimension looks like, in case you were wondering.
Overall, the map is a endless array of 32x32-block (2x2 chunk) creations with stairs up and down to about four levels. I have met the wallpaper creepers (slow and easy to bash) and the armor stand who moves when you're not looking (easily blocked). I have found a lot of odd rooms and set up a base at a chunk decorated with carpets and barrels.
There are long stretches where nothing new or interesting happens, and of course beds explode...
I still to not have a single piece of armor.
After dinner: wow, I stumbled into a huge room full of boxy shapes on stilts with pathways beneath them. The overhead lights flickered and went out with only those pathways between pillars lit up. There are some structures in here, small house, bits of menger sponge shapes, and a towering creature on stilts that blasts away at me. I popped into creative just to zoom and see what it was ... a menger stalker, 500 HP. Wow, this area is nuts. One wall turns into a hotel facade of sorts. New waypoint "menger rooms". There is a tiny lobby with spiral stairs up ... yes, it's a hotel, halls in all 4 direction with rooms with room numbers and colored carpets in front of the doors. One vending machine per floor. Are those prices in emeralds? Ugh, it took 4 emeralds to get one cookie.












Comments
Post a Comment