Places: Anne in the Backrooms?

260726 Places

Yesterday, Anne joined me for a run through the new world with the Places mod.  She's always teasing me about "Backrooms shit", and rolled her eyes when she first saw the endless rooms dimension.  But once I let her know there were specific things to find, she really got into it.  I mostly hopped from one waypoint to another to avoid the tedium of having to walk and get lost in hundreds of dead ends and loops that all look the same.

She agreed that the design and ingenuity of the modders was amazing.  It's hard not to get pulled into this world and just keep looking.  She liked the little shopping malls the best, because there was so much loot hanging around.  We went over the achievements, and I showed her my stash in the Barrels room.  Cardboard Steves kept causing momentary scares.  Darn cardboard Steve.  We tried to eat all 16 colors of crayon (silly quest of the year) but never did find any gray ones.

For those types of quests, it seems best to accumulate all of those objects into a chest and sort them, and once eaten, move those to the bottom rows.  Once a stack overflows, maybe move those to a different chest, so we can always see how many different items in the set we have found.



I had a hard time trying to explain the corruption that was slowly eating the world.  It got to the point where there were some box spiders to fight, and they were fast and funny.  I need a lot of the data error objects though, to make data error blocks, to take to the weird green/white cubes on the structure bridge, where the neutral white endermen would turn them into debug blocks, which are used to make keys and other things.

I showed Anne the Red Road dimension briefly.  It's such an eyesore.  Later on, we saw an ad for something that looked like it was shot in that same dimension.  I can't remember the ad or scene now, but she immediately said it was that ugly red dimension.  Then I clicked the computer with the alpha disk loaded, and we went to the other eyesore dimension, the Alpha world.  We flew around a bit looking for the stronghold, which is apparently marked by a sky-high skinny tower of glass, but after 20 minutes we couldn't find it and we ducked through one of the yellow doors back to the Backrooms.

I don't remember every little thing, but we did grab some backshrooms in one of the trash rooms, grilled it up and ... that trippy look where turning your head leaves day-glow outlines behind is way too accurate.

Now she's on a trip to Minnesota for two weeks, so I guess I have some time to complete this mod myself.  I have to say, the huge range of new items and dimensions and play time involved are truly epic and much appreciated.  Even after I complete the whole journey and get back to the Overworld, I could see continuing the game and tearing apart those dimensions for blocks, though I doubt I could build anything half as attractive as some of the places the mod creator designed.

#

Comments

Popular Posts