MineTest developments

1/13/2017 MineTest developments

Well, I had fun the last two days, stealing an hour here and there to add to my mods.  What an assortment of skills involved.  Writing code, creating new textures, overlaying and colorizing textures upon load, game testing, creating GitHub repositories, screen grabs, wiki text, posting the result on the Minetest forums.

I started off with some simple projects.  My two mods so far:

[packed_things]: pack your cobble, sand and dirt by a factor of 9 into Packed blocks, then 9 of those for 2x Packed blocks, etc up to the 8x packed blocks (Ultra packed blocks), which can store 9^8 = 43,046,721.  An homage to the old Minecraft 1.4 and 1.5 mods that first introduced "octuply compressed cobblestone".  Simple mod, just new blocks and crafting recipes.

[dense_ores]: adds 3 tiers of denser stones and ores at deeper levels of the world - deep stone, dense stone and ultra dense stone.  The colors are slightly different, to help give some color to the caves without being too jarring on the eyes.  And each type of new stone can have its own ores: Coal, Copper, Iron and Diamond.  This was my first attempt are ore generation.  Always wanted to be able to add stuff to a world.  I came up with an incredibly useful trick for seeing is the oregen feels right: I turn the ore I'm studying into a light_source, then I can fly underground in god mode and simple see visually whether the distribution is what I was hoping it would be.  Too cool.  Saved endless hours of exploring black caves and only ever seeing a small part of the picture.

Today I added some config file settings to dense_ores, so now I know how to do that, too.  One step at a time.

I have plans for a lot more world-gen mods.  But each will be self-contained, adding a specific set of items, so people can pick and choose and give their worlds the color they want.  I'm planning a big "hot_depths" mod that will treat the lowest depths like the earth's mantle, full of heat sand and boiling mud and magma and other hazards -- something fiery that is NOT the Nether from Minecraft.  And MineTest is a platform where I have a shot at introducing some fundamental chemistry, hopefully a wide range of ores, ore gravels, and mineral sands to collect all the elements of the periodic table.  My own kind of MineChem. 

Quick play session.  Dove into a cave under the shallow sea.  Made it down to -360y with no sign of my (still glowing in debug mode) deep stone.  Came back up, dug stairs plus 50 ladders to get the rest of the way to the surface.  Came out 20 blocks from my home base.  Goods: 57 packed cobble, 7 mese crystals, 2 flint, 145 coal, 20 gold, 5 diamonds (plus new pick), 164 iron, 58 copper.

Looked at some recipes, make some embers (2 torches, 1 wood), nice animated texture from fake_fire mod.

###

Comments

Popular Posts