VeeTech - where have all the mobs gone?

12/30/2016 my VeeTech world

Busy day of programming work, deadlines on state reporting APIs and driving around town picking up end-of-year paychecks from clients.

I had about a half hour to run across the world trying to find where all the mobs have gone.  I could find areas where the entity count
would go up to E:20/120 or so, but those almost always turned out to be big forests where lots of saplings came bouncing into my face due
to magnet mode.  I can't see how that would stop hostile mob spawns.  Below ground, the only spots I found high numbers were near mob
spawners, which I cleaned up, and even cleared out a few dozen passive mobs.  Still no spawns.  Which sucks, because I added the Primitive
Mobs mod just to add some more fun spawns to the world.  I will try switching to Peaceful and back, though I will have to respawn
my zoo animals.

Peaceful mode, mobs at E:4/38.  Back to normal mode, mobs at 9/105.  But I'm looking across a vast field and see nothing but sheep
and chickens.  Set time to dusk and wait at top of a greatwood tree in a big field.  E:3/64.  Midnight, nothing higher than 7/79.
Found a chasm floored in cobble -- one of those multi-room dungeons.  E:60/134 suddenly!  Must clear it out and not teleport away I guess.
Finally, no more mob noises, back down to E:0/90.  Never saw a hostile mob spawn on its own, ran all the way home in the dark.

Well, maybe I just tamed this world.  I have other worlds via Mystcraft with creatures in them.

Got home with 12 (!) chests of plunder.  Whole stacks of saplings I sucked up my running around forests in magnet mode, trying to reduce
the entities clogging up the world.  Went out to my fortress of magic to drain some magic items in the auto-disenchanter, put the spell
books on my shelves.  Hopped over to my desert pyramid and setup stands of aloe vera, saguaro and cactus fruit.  Need to automate that cactus farm one of these days.

Quick night.

###

12/31/2016 - VeeTech flat world

I made a new flat world just for experimental builds and displays.  This time the world is 40 blocks deep.  An endless plain of eucalyptus
trees and farlander huts.  I can hear ender sounds but don't see any.  Starting on peaceful.  Tried making a display of every available
white block (done), gray block (done), black block (etc etc).  Then a display of all the chisel mod variations of blocks -- got through about
6 items times 12-16 blocks each.  Made placeholder for future sequences of blocks.

Made a dark building with 4 moisteners inside, fed by aqueous accumulator.  It outputs mossy cobble and mulch, mossy stone brick and mulch, mycelium and mycelium to the 4 outside chests.

Built the 3 different water gathering structures: water tank (railcraft), rain tank (forestry), weather collector (MFR).  Looks like the
rain tank is fastest but water needs to be pumped out; weather collector is next and outputs water freely but costs a trickle of energy
to run, while the big 3x3x3 railcraft tank is energy free but less prolific.

I played with some mob spawner/grinder builds.  The grinder does not recognize Project Zulu mobs.  The Safari net does not recognize the
funky Primitive Mods, so I can't make a treasure slime farm.  I made a lava blade grinder, spawned 30 treasure slimes in there manually,
pretty funny watching them bounce and then burst into smaller critters.  I got my first pet treasure slime (white cube with hearts in it),
and while I could sneak-rclick him to get him to sit, and rclick him with dyes to change his color, he kept bumping me and doing damage,
and he never helped to fight my opponents.  Still kinda cute.  Here is what 30 treasure slimes can produce: snowball, 4 gold, 5 iron, 2 diamonds, 2 emeralds, 2 redstone, 5 glowstone, 2 gunpowder, 7x64+46 slimeballs, 2 ender pearls, 3 lapis, saddle, 2 cookies, 4 cakes, 2 blaze powder, 2 magma cream, 2 fire charges.  Need to find a way to farm 'em.

Went back to Peaceful mode and my pet slime stuck around.  He no longer does damage.  Can be healed with slimeballs.  Good boy.  Thing.

Started framing out the corners of chunks with different walls, so I can practice some one-chunk builds.  Started on an 11x11 oreberry farm,
4 layers, different type for each level, 121 berries per layer.  Wow, they're a pain to plant, they want darkness so I have to build an extra ceiling, reach way into the corners, then take out the ceiling and move it down right over the bushes.

I found some abandoned mines cutting right across the surface.  By choosing a world depth of 40-45, I can see why that happened, but I could not have predicted it.

Comments

Popular Posts