Overgrowth expanding

8/6 Overgrowth

Went out to see the Dark Tower today.  A lot of creepy fun; I have no idea what all the super-critical whiny critics are complaining about.  I actually wanted it to go on longer for a change.  The ending was a little too sudden and simple.  But quite an atmosphere.

After more experiments, forget the Better Questing mods.  I don't know how to package the quests with the modpack, and the player interface is a bit primitive.  Let players do their own thing, I suppose.  Also removed TorchMaster while I was at it.  I am pretty sure something in Cyclic or EU2 already does that.  Ore Shrubs may be redundant with Mystical Agriculture, but it introduces a SHrub Collector villager and maybe some surprises, and is pretty small and harmless.  Maybe the resource chickens are superfluous since there should be no shortage of actual resources.  Maybe Moar Signs and Signpost are redundant ... whatever, each is different enough and has minimal footprint.

##

8/10 Overgrowth

Officially released this modpack yesterday.  Have no idea how to promote it.

Found something unexpected in the Cavern dimension ... a 6 story tower with an enderman spawner on each level, about 20x20, about 9 blocks tall each, with a gap down to lava.  This actually spawned so many mobs I had to go to peaceful mode to clear them out.  With 2-4 chests per level and spiders at the bottom AND intersected by an abandoned mine, that was quite a find.  And in one of the chests was a Miner's Thought Orb which, sure enough, is the key to opening the Ruins dimension portal!  And the Ruins portal is just a nexus leading down to caches with portals to the other 4 dimensions, and NO portal back home.  Still, tons of stuff in those chests: tools, torches, ores, etc.

Well, this is a problem ... after taking a Ruins dimension portal to Cavern dimension and warping back to the waypoint for my original portal home, it no longer GOES home, but back to the Ruins dimension far from spawn.  Hmm.

Over on the mod testing world, I was really enjoying PlantTech, and it bookshelf books about crazy plant/ore combinations ... perfect for Overgrowth since it actually talks about overgrowing things with plant energy.  BUTm when I went to go through the portal to the Plant dimension ...
[13:10:27] [Client thread/INFO]: Mapping halted in C:\Users\scott virtes\Documents\Curse\Minecraft\Instances\Scottvee mod testing pack\journeymap\data\sp\Play World\DIM0
[13:10:27] [Netty Server IO #1/ERROR]: SimpleChannelHandlerWrapper exception
java.lang.NullPointerException
   
at net.minecraftforge.common.DimensionManager.getProvider(DimensionManager.java:139) ~[DimensionManager.class:?]
   
at hellfirepvp.astralsorcery.common.network.packet.client.PktRequestSeed.onMessage(PktRequestSeed.java:62) ~[PktRequestSeed.class:?]

oddly, that error is coming from Astral Sorcery mod, but happened when entering the Plant dimension.

Removed Astral Sorcery, got into the plant dimension.  Very cool.  There are resource plants everywhere, get a tiny bit at a time.  Odd, creepy glow around mobs, which can be through the dirt.  Animania animals romping around everywhere.  But I put down a vacuum chest and got kicked out, even when reloading.

A few hundered of these logged:
[13:48:25] [Client thread/FATAL]: Error executing task
java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.lang.NullPointerException
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.report(FutureTask.java:122) ~[?:1.8.0_25]
...

No crash report or coordinates??  Got rid of the vacuum chest by searching for value=Chest in NBTExplorer.
Still no go.

Renamed the entire chunk file, ok, back in the world.  Wow, found a GORGEOUS castle but even as I watch it fills up with glowing outlines of mobs.  Creative Mode explore ... looks like it's from the DungeonDQ mod.  Aside from having TOO MANY DAMN MOBS, the actual mobs are a carnival of weirdness.  Zombies that take off their heads, skeleton druids of sorts, bat creepers (my favorite), creeper slimes, looks like almost any mob can go BOOM and turn into a few bats when hit (and sometimes when not hit).  There are barrier blocks, switches.  Excellent design.  Just too many mobs, and then the REAL issue ... after about 15 minutes in there weeding out the herd in CREATIVE MODE, I had so many spell effects, I was eventually totally blind except for an occasional glimpse of the world, AND on fire, and poisoned.  A whole stack of debuffs, all refreshing every 7 seconds or so.  Icons clogging up the top right of the screen.  Became completely unplayable.  AND when I died and respawned back on the overworld, all the stupid debuffs kept attacking me.  Could not keep going, even in creative mode, even after respawning.  THAT's a pretty big issue.

Restarted, still stuck with a dozen debuffs.  Milk doesn't work.  Heal button doesn't work.  Even "/effect scottvee clear" says it clears all effects but doesn't.  I edited .dat files in NBTExplorer twice.  Renamed level.dat to level.dat.corrupted.  I already lost all my inventory so no big deal.  Still somehow throws all the debuffs at me as soon as I login.  This world is no longer playable.

Well, hell, it was my test world.  I have no idea which mod has put that buffbar at the top right, maybe it has cached these effects in some weird file somewhere.  Disable a bunch of mods (ToroQuest, Bionisation, Cybwerware), delete some data files, try again.

Created a new world, moved my region files over ... all modded blocks got randomized, big mess.  Went back to the Plant dimension, found a quartz village ruin on some floating islands, only to get a server crash from Waila when looking at a spawner with a silverfish inside.  Switch to Hwyla from Waila.  Restart.

Okay, now I can explore the quartz ruins with no problem.  Death-defying plank bridges between the isles, with gaps between.  Fix the gaps with slabs before crossing.  Found a chest with Red Cookies, Yellow cookies (apparently normal cookies plus crystals are edible and give buffs) (but imagine the dental bills) and Plantmetal blocks.  Neat area, final isle has a double chest with 2 skeleton spawners beneath.  More cookies.  For some reason I am getting Hunger, Poison II and Speed over and over again.  And it just keeps getting worse, even after going back to the overworld.  That may very well be a bug in Planttech.  Thought it might be something in my inventory, dumped it all into a chest, more and more effects kept happening.  Darn, looked like so much fun.

Final test: disable planttech and try again.  Nope, still have the insane debuffs.  Damn.

Back to Overgrowth ... where was I?  Oh yeah, I was stuck with a portal loop and could not get back to the overworld.  I have no idea why my original portal to the Cavern dimension now points back to the Ruins dimension.  The plan: if I can reach 68y at any point I can /tpd to my flat world and find my way back, find safe coordinates near my portal cluster at my base, and put in a central command block to get home.  No problem.  Finally got my Refined Storage system up and running with a disk drive and 3 4K and one 16K disks.  Was having a heck of a time getting power out of the EnderIO capacitor bank to the RS controller, then from the controller on the mod's own wires to the Solderer.  Made a 2nd solderer, then 4 speed upgrades, and a stash of processors, capturing recipes for all of them along the way.

##

8/18/2017 Overgrowth world

Seriously corrupted my world.  Updated a few mods on the Twitch launcher, and now the block ids are all screwed up above a certain number.  Iron chests became rocks, the usual loss and massive lag.  Checking with my released version (I had to rename the new WIP version "Overgrowth 1.01" and download my own modpack), the only changes were:

*Chisel 0.0.13.29 to .30
CTM 0.2.2.19 to .24
*ExtraUtilities2 1.5.1 to .2
Forestry 5.2.17.383 to 385 (went from release to Alpha??) downgraded to 384
*HammerCore 1.6.9 to 1.9.4.3 (??)
JourneyMap 5.4.9b1 to 5.5.0b1
* means I reverted them back

I guess I should build a test world with a few blocks from each mod, to know for certain whether certain mod updates or additions corrupt the block ids.  Sometimes, I can add a whole new mod and the world is fine.  Sometimes a mod can be removed or disabled and the world stays intact.  I had not thought that a simple mod version update could turn all my canola into calculators, but I definitely want a testbed world where I can make sure that the storage objects remain intact -- I had finally built a Refined Storage system with 25k of storage, 3000 items stored, and it turned into a chiseled block of some kind, all items gone.

I was able to save some chest contents by loading the region file in NBTExplorer, searching for IronChest, and for each iron chest found, cut down its contents to 27 stacks and rename it to id:Chest.  Still some loss there.  Another option is to put all machines and assembly lines into regular wooden chests before a modpack change, since the items in chests seem immune to whatever forces are changing the block ids.  A lot of work though!

I have not been able to get back into my flat world with all the agriculture and smeltery.  I get a ticking world error and see about 900 entities of various mysticalagriculture:seeds cluttering up the place.  In NBTExplorer, one other trick is to search for Tick, and delete any TickTiles or TickingTiles or whatever they're called.  Those can get out of hand when blocks turn into liquid blocks and start flowing.  The enderIO tanks near my fluid cows had turned into a flood of Molten Vibrant Alloy, which was no fun to clean up.

##

Comments

Popular Posts